Monday, October 20, 2008

'Tis the Season - Make it Personal



I hope you all are getting into the swing of fall and looking forward to some of the upcoming holidays. This year, I know my 4 year old son, Joey, has given me a renewed enthusiasm for Halloween. Since the first week of school he has been bringing his "Oriental Trading" magazine that is full of Halloween supplies for his "reading material" during nap time. It has been taped back together several times to ensure he is still able to peruse the selections and dream about how great all of these decorations would look all over our house. To appease his need for immediate gratification one night last week, we made some paper towel ghosts and hung them throughout the house. It reminded me of the simple pleasures that come from making something from essentially nothing. The ghosts aren't as "fancy" as some of the ones in Oriental Trading, but to me, they couldn't be any better. Joey couldn't get over how "smart" I was to think of making these ourselves. I'm sure I'll save a couple to remind me of the fun evening we had together making them and... of course, to remind Joey of the days when he still thought his Mom was so "smart." :-)

As I was recounting my fun evening with Joey to a friend, I realized it is very similar to the experience we offer at 1154 LILL. Often our customers are shopping with friends and family and are looking for ways to create memories and share time together. Now more than ever, they are looking for ways to spend their money wisely on items that are personal and hold significance to them and the recipient. I know this season, I'll be looking to give gifts that fit these ideals. Really this should always be the case, but sometimes it just takes a reminder from someone small - when you add a little of your time and creativity, you can give a gift worthy of warming a heart. Happy holiday hunting!


Jen Velarde
Founder - 1154 LILL Studio

No comments: